SVPP 2009: A Story of Success in a Tough Year

Mark Holloway, Executive Director

December 21, 2009

Hi everyone. Instead of sending you my traditional year-end letter this year, I’m sending this video to try and connect more personally and tell you a story about our impact. This story is actually about us.

I came to SVPP almost three years ago with a background in business, not unlike most of you. I chose SVPP because I have a passion to help disadvantaged kids and adults achieve their potential. I think we do that in a very unique and special way at SVPP.

When I started three years ago, we had a very dedicated Board, but one that had worked itself to death. Our Partnership donor base was uncertain so the foundation needed to be firmed up. Low attendance at events had taken its toll on the energy and enthusiasm of the Partnership. Then last year, the Spring of 2008, our Investment Team—which is normally the high point of engagement and enrichment in our Partnership—lost three of the nine Partners participating. They were frustrated, and I knew it was time for a change. It was time to rethink the mission, the programs, the structure and whole purpose of our organization. I felt like a general calling back the soldiers from the front line to plan a new offensive against the forces mounting against us. And the forces have been intense in the last 12-14 months. But we are back on the march. Better than ever, in fact.

We have transformed SVPP in the past several years. We have done for ourselves what we do for our Investees! And it wasn’t just through my commitment or Diane’s or through strategic planning or a strong Board. It was through each of you showing new interest, making renewed commitments and others in the community taking notice. This year, 15 new Partnerships have joined us in one of the worst economies in 80 years. WELCOME to you new Partners! We have also developed a partnership with Meyer Memorial Trust to co-fund and learn through our work with Investees. This is great validation of our model and the quality of our efforts with Investees. And it’s exciting! In fact, we have more people and organizations call with interest in what we do. I could show the data and tell you all the stories to punctuate this…but I hope you know the change because you sense it, you feel the energy and change.

So I want to thank you for your commitment to SVPP. It has made all the difference.

I also want to ask two things of you.

One is simple. Just an email…with a little thought behind it. I just want you to tell me what difference you want to make in the world and how you see SVPP helping you with that vision. I’ll know you saw this video when you just send this email message. It will be a great gift to me and to Diane to renew our energy. It will also help us understand and channel all the passions of our Partnership for the community in 2010.

I also want to ask for your continued commitment and contributions for SVPP. Like our Investees, we can’t get to the next level without investing in our infrastructure. I want to hire marketing and communications talent to help us tell our stories of impact to you and to others in the community and bring more people to our mission. We can have an exponentially greater impact with more people committed to our work.

So as you consider year-end gifts and your 2010 giving, I hope you will consider investing in our plan and our progress, our potential and impact right now. As you consider SVPP now and in 2010, I’m asking you to invest in US and in me and my enthusiasm to take us to the next level as we do for so many others. I’ll know you that you believe in our potential and what amazing impact we have in Portland when you think beyond the $5000 gift to SVPP and consider us for your $7500 or $10,000 or $20,000 or even $100,000 gifts. Because it can make a HUGE difference for us and especially for the community as we put it to work in our model.

Again, thank you for all you do. The Board, Diane and I—and maybe you too—are a good exhausted that comes from satisfying hard work and results that mean something to all of us.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you.

My very best to you and your family.

No comments: