A Reflection on SVPP's Poverty Simulation

(from the October 2008 Newsletter)

by Sarah Peters


SVPP's poverty simulation conducted in partnership with Portland Impact in late September was truly one of the most powerful experiences I've had in a long time. Poverty Sim01.JPGI wasn't sure what to expect, but I left humbled, with a new respect for the challenges faced by families adversely affected by poverty. My whole career, I have either served directly in a low-income community or worked for a non-profit dedicated to helping children and families affected by poverty. I sympathized with families' struggles and always did what I could to help. I thought I really understood their challenges. But it wasn't until I "experienced" poverty myself – a simulation of walking in the shoes of a single mom trying to keep her family afloat – that I really empathized with the struggles of the families I've served.

There are so many forces working against families living in poverty; the simulation made this abundantly clear. For me, it further reminded me how important it is do what we can for those who are less fortunate and the critical role support services (like CASH Oregon and Advisory Boards to SUN Schools) play in the lives of these families. Thanks SVPP and Portland Impact for a real eye-opening experience.

No comments: